The distribution of British overnight stays by NUTS II 2018 (Jan-Mar) ranks 1st in total external demand for Portugal with a share of 18.3% (Source: INE - 2017)
Direct air connections between Portugal and the United Kingdom are 17/18 in the winter and 18 in the summer, with an average of weekly frequencies (Source: ANA - Airports of Portugal; Turismo de Portugal analysis).
Portugal is ranked 6th out of the top 5 destinations with 3 million trips (share of 3.5%), in 2017, a CAGR 2013-2017 rise + 7.8% (Source: Euromonitor International - 2017).
Main airlines operating between Portugal and the United Kingdom 2017 (Source: ANA - Airports of Portugal; Turismo de Portugal analysis):
- EasyJet Airlines 27%
- Ryanair 25%
- TAP Portugal 16%
Passengers landing from the United Kingdom [million] in 2016 corresponded to 3.7M, in 2017 these corresponded to 4.2M (+ 13.2%) (Source: ANA - Airports of Portugal; Turismo de Portugal analysis).
- 83.8 million tourist trips, with a growth of 3.6% in 2016
- € 43.6 billion in tourist spending abroad
- 88.1% of the external trips made by the British are for leisure purposes
- The online tourism market grew by 3.1%
- London is the main source of tourists to Portugal
- Over 54% of British tourists repeat their visit to Portugal
- 95% of Brits were very satisfied with holidays in Portugal and 99% saw their expectations met or exceeded